Search This Blog

Loading...

Nov 2, 2012

The courtesy of thought

When I was a young man, I was taught in a youth group I belonged to, to "think twice before speaking once." I am guilty of not always following this adage.

This concept, in today's increasingly fast paced world(which tends to prize wit over thoughtfulness) seems almost lost. There are times, when I am in the process of framing my reply, I am interrupted by either the person who asked the question or a third party. Usually when I pause for thought my reply requires nuance and/or delicacy. While I am not known for sparing feeling here in what for all intents and purposes is my scream room, I do try out in the real world.

Sometimes, I fail miserably. Sometimes, I don't even try, and just blurt it out. In so doing, I tend to do the person I am speaking with a disservice.

I am going to try and practice this bit of wisdom more. Especially at work, where I tend to look at my customers as more of an enemy than someone I should befriend.

I just hope my attempt at due courtesy of thoughtfulness is understood. I'll try to be thoughtful anyway.

4 comments:

  1. Sometimes it's hard to bite your tongue when someone is simply being stupid (such as when you are at work) Still something I think almost everyone could improve on though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the attempt. It's so easy, sometimes, to just ... well, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a shame, but courtesy and thoughtfulness are often viewed nowadays as weakness.

    Don't be surprised when people start trying to push you around.

    Sad commentary on our modern enlightened society?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are the better person for trying. I'm just so naturally garrulous around people I haven't seen for a long time, that I end up hogging the conversation. I've had to sit and tell myself to just shut up and liston, I'm there to hear about them, I know about me.

    ReplyDelete